Goochland-Powhatan Community Services Board
- 6 p.m.
- The 1st Monday of every month
- Location: Rotates on a regular basis between Goochland and Powhatan
- Open to the public
- Meeting Minutes can be accessed here
The Goochland-Powhatan Community Services Board of Directors is composed of 10 citizens with 5 members each being appointed by the local Board of Supervisors of Goochland and Powhatan. The 5 appointees should be representatives from:
- Interested citizens
The term is 3 years and members can be reappointed twice after the initial appointment, totaling three 3-year terms. If appointed to fill someone’s vacancy mid-term, a member can still be eligible to serve 3 complete terms after that initial term. All terms expire June 30, as determined by the appointing authorities.
- The Board has the responsibility of planning for, establishing, developing and reviewing the mental health, intellectual/developmental disabilities, drug and alcohol programs of the counties.
- The Board reviews and approves its program budgets on an annual basis and obtains approval and funding for its programs from local and state governments.
- The Board directly operates all of its programs. It sets program policies and monitors and evaluates programs on a regular basis. (Reference § 37.2-500-37.2-512 - Code of Virginia)
The mission of this Board is to:
- Allow community services to be developed on the local level so that the Board can best meet the specific needs of each locality
- Promote and enhance the quality of life through innovative, comprehensive services to all residents and the greater community of Goochland and Powhatan counties
- Provide a continuum of community based education, prevention, crisis intervention, counseling and rehabilitation to individuals, families and groups in need of mental health, intellectual/developmental disabilities and/or substance abuse services
The Goochland-Powhatan Community Services Board provides mental health, intellectual/developmental disabilities and substance abuse services to the citizens of Powhatan and Goochland counties.
Mental Health & Substance Abuse
The mental health and substance abuse services include:
- Case management
- Day support
- Early intervention
- Emergency services
- Outpatient treatment
The intellectual/developmental disability services include:
- Case management
- Parent-infant education programs
- Supported residential services
Monacan Services is also available for center-based day support and supported employment.
The Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Sciences may provide funds, on a matching basis, to localities for the purpose of providing services that include program planning, service delivery and evaluation.
Members are compensated $50 per month for each meeting attended.